Tuesday 28 August 2012

28th August 1812: General Maitland reports Luddites from Lancashire & Derbyshire taking the oath of Allegiance

Wakefield
28th August
1812

My dear Lord

I this morning had the honor to receive Your’s of the 26th and should not trouble You to day there being no Post, were I not sure it would give you great satisfaction to know that the Spirit which has manifested itself at Mottram is beginning to extend. I understand about 40 yesterday from the Neighbourhood of Ashton made their confessions at Manchester, and I understand too many have gone out of the corner of Derbyshire to Chapel Le Frith for the same purpose.

It is sincerely to be hoped, that the present Spirit may be kept up, it is the only sure and pleasant Mode of getting rid of the whole Thing and you may rely upon it, that no exertions on my part shall be wanting to keep it a going

Ever

Your’s My Dr Lord

T Maitland

[To] Lord Viscount Sidmouth
& &c &c

This letter can be found at HO 42/126.

No comments:

Post a Comment