Friday 24 October 2014

24th October 1814: The Nottinghamshire MP William Frank asks the Home Secretary to offer a reward for the attack on Thomas Garton

Kirklington near Southwell
October 24th 1814

My Lord

Your Lordship has no doubt heard of the Attack upon Mr. Gartons house at Basford near Nottingham

The account published in the Papers one of which I send, is I believe a fair statement. The Lord Lieutenant has with that Zeal & Liberality for which his Grace is so conspicuous desired a reward to any amount may be offered out of his private purse for the detection of the Offenders. I believe it will give great satisfaction to the magistrates and the Nottingham district if your Lordship should be Pleased that Government that Government should offer considerable Reward for the like desirable end

It is understood by the Chairman of the Nottingham Sessions that the watch & ward act has expired. I think your Lordship said that was not the Case

I intend to be in Town to meet the Parliament on the 8th of next month and shall do myself the honor to wait on you

I have [etc]
Frank Frank
MP for the County of Nottingham

This letter can be found at HO 42/141.

No comments:

Post a Comment