Thursday 18 August 2016

18th August 1816: The Home Office is informed of frame-breaking in Godalming, Surrey

Post office Godalmin
18th Aug 1816

Hon Sir

I take the earliest oportunity of informing you, that late on Friday Night, the 16th or early on Saturday morning the 17th Inst. some person or persons broke into the Fleecy Hosiery manufactory here belonging to Messrs Holland, Waistell, Horton & Co and stole some part and otherwise damaged 6 Stocking Frames, but not to any serious account supposing the depradation had been alarmed soon after he or they entered the shop and by that means made their escape without doing any further damage

at present their is hopes of descovring the people

I believe I am doing right in giving you this information according to the circular Letter I lately recd

I am
Hon Sir your most obedt St
[illegible signature]

This letter can be found at HO 42/152.

No comments:

Post a Comment