Wednesday 7 March 2012

7th March 1812: Joseph Radcliffe writes to the Home Office about the lack of troops in the West Riding

Milnsbridge house
March 7th 1812

Sir

In compliance with your letter of Feby 26th saying you will be obliged to me for any further information respecting these unfortunate occurrences in the neighbourhood of Huddersfield, I inclose the four informations given to me yesterday after noon, too late for the post, these with the three before sent, happened from half a mile to one mile & an half of my house. These I now send are from Sarah the wife of John Sykes of Hoylhouse in Linthwait, Saml Swallow [ditto], Jno Swallow [ditto] & Jno Sykes[ ditto];—

On the receipt of yours of 3d Instant, I immediately wrote to Mjr Gn Dixon for 100 Infantry, & I wish my request to you for them, had immediately been complied with by an application to the War office, as it would have saved time & possibly might have prevent’d mischief.

Yours of the 5th is this day received, & shall be communicated to the comittee at Huddersfield without loss of time, & their determination made known to you as soon as I receive it. & am Sir

Your much Obliged
Hbe Servt

J. Radcliffe

Milnsbridge House
Mar 7th 1812.

[to J Beckett Esq]

This letter can be found at HO 40/1/1.

No comments:

Post a Comment