Friday 3 July 2015

3rd July 1815: Francis Raynes offers his resignation with a threat to publicise his case

3d July, 1815.

MY LORD DUKE,

Absence from home prevented my receiving your Grace’s favour of the 24th ult. Till this moment.

Were it possible I could misapprehend your Grace’s expression in respect to the barrack appointment, your letter would excite no surprise; but when I reflect that your Grace stated to me, that my Lord Liverpool had assented me to such appointment in my favour, preferable to some the reduced officers, I am precluded drawing any equivocal inference. I most perfectly accord with your Grace’s opinion, “in what is to be done, and what is eventually accomplished,” as the experience of the last two years and a half has fully taught me. Yet I would be loathe to think so uncharitably of the Earl of Liverpool or Lord Sidmouth, as to suppose they would trifle with the feeling of an individual under such circumstances; and I am to believe they would not presume to make your Grace an instrument in the furtherance of hopes which were not intended to be realised.

Your Grace will have perceived throughout, that emolument alone was not my object; but that an honourable appointment should await my services. If His Majesty’s ministers will admit my being allowed the temporary rank of Captain, and the requirement of such, it might readily relieve them from the difficulty which has so often been suggested.

Should this proposition be rejected, without a suitable remuneration, I must request your Grace will be pleased to accept my resignation; for I should not feel happy to do duty in the Stirlingshire, under existing circumstances.

It is fortunate that I have preserved every document relative to that service; and I cannot entertain a doubt that the General Officers under whom I had the honor to serve, will bear amply testimony thereof; and however reluctant I may be to make my case known to the public, yet, on retiring from the service, I feel it a duty I owe myself and my family.

I have the honor to be,
Most respectfully,
Your Grace’s obedient and humble Servant,

FRANCIS RAYNES

[To] His Grace the Duke of Montrose, &c.

This is from Raynes (1817, pp.160-162).

No comments:

Post a Comment