Monday 6 July 2015

6th July 1815: The Duke of Montrose sends a stinging reply to Francis Raynes' threat

London, 6th July, 1815.

SIR,

I have just received your letter, and think you have written hastily, and, therefore, till you confirm it, will not understand that you threaten an appeal to the public. Under this impression, I shall not even accept your resignation till I hear again from you and beg leave to state that my communications which I have made to you, of the applications I have made to obtain for you, reward for your services, I considered as done confidentially; and that you have not any consent of mine, to make any communication that has passed through me to you public.

This letter is written entirely on your account, as an appeal to the public would only destroy the obligation ministers may feel to reward your services, and, in my opinion, be very injurious to you in all respects.

I remain, Sir,

Your obedient Servant,

MONTROSE.

[To] Capt. Raynes.

This is from Raynes (1817, pp.162-163).

No comments:

Post a Comment