Saturday 5 November 2016

5th November 1816: A Lincolnshire official is concerned about the security of the arms depot at Lincoln

Lincoln
5th Novr 1816

Dear Sir

Having heard that serious disturbance is expected to take place at Nottingham , and knowing there are about 10,000 Stand of Arms, besides a considerable quantity of Ammunition in the Depot at this place, without any Military here, to protect the same (and I believe there are very few Soldiers in the County of Lincoln) I cannot rest satisfied in my mind, as a well wisher of my Country in these perilous times, without informing you of the circumstance, in the hope that the information may be the means of averting any attempt which may be made, by the Luddites, to take possession of the same, as I think such a step may be apprehended, as they appear ready to proceed to acts of destruction. I hope you will not think me too forward in writing to you, I assure you I have no other motive than that of saving my Country. I have had some conversation with Sir John Beckett at Gainsbro’ to day on the subject, and he thought I should not be taking an improper liberty in addressing you, and he promised he would also write himself which I have no doubt he will immediately do, and

I am Dear Sir,
Your faithful & very obed ‘Servt
John Fardell

To
John Beckett Esq
&c. &c. &c

This letter can be found at HO 42/155.

No comments:

Post a Comment