Wednesday 11 January 2012

11th January 1812: Lord Middleton tries to strong-arm the Home Secretary

Wollaton House Nottinghamshire Jany 11th 1812

Sir.—

It is become my painful Duty to repeat my report to you that the hitherto unparalleled state of plunder, outrage, & general terror, continues thro’ out the whole of this Country, & although I should wish to be the last person to bring forward any measure that might prove painful to Government, Unless prompt & effective measures are directed, I shall most reluctantly feel myself driven to the necessity of coming to Town, Expressly to state, plainly, & as distinctly as I may be able to Parliament, the very shameful occurrences that have been suffer’d for such a length of time to take place involving the ruin of Hundreds, & to endeavour to call the attention of the public, to the shortsightedness of those who have so supinely sufferd the Hydra raise its Heads.

I have the Honor to be Sir with Every Consideration
Your Most Obedient Humble Lord Middleton

(to Richard Ryder, Home Secretary)

The letter can be found at HO 42/119.

No comments:

Post a Comment