Sunday 22 July 2012

22nd July 1812: Gravenor Henson writes to Nottingham about the progress of his Bill through Parliament

1812. July 22

London

Sir

I have received yours and am extremely happy to find that you have adjusted all your animosities. The Bill was read a third time last Night and will be read a first time in the Lords on Friday Night You will perceive from the Inclosed Report that we have had a strong opposition I do not expect any in the Lords if we can keep an American Merchant back of the Name of Jaffery who we have recd. some information means to oppose the Bill on the Ground that he can sell Plenty of Single Press and Two course hole in America; But I believe the Lords have determined to hear no Petitions against Bills nor to have any further Debates I paid Mr Harrison this Morning our Counsel 33" 18" 0" I have Mr Ellis to pay yet, Write To Mr Toplis, they have been to me in London about the 52£ Latham will inform you what it means, Mr Coke desired me when I came from the House last Night 1/2 past 12 oClock to stay a few Days to get it through the Lords, He requests I would meet him on Friday Morning at Mr Smiths bank to arrange for the Bill passing through the Lords, Mr Mansfield is very inattentive, he went away from the House last Night before the Bill was read, I have not seen him to Day: Latham, Large, Bowler and Roper left Town by the Manchester Defiance yesterday for Leicester you may expect them by the time you receive this. Take the Reports of the Speeches to the Review, they are pretty long they are in none of the London Papers, Give my Respects to all Friends

I am Sir
Your most Obt Servt
G Henson

PS. If there is any disatisfaction at my staying here send me word immediately I shall come thro Hinkley send me Word how I shall act as it concerns going thro Banbury and forming a Union of the Trade The Reports will be printed to morrow I have been once to Day Sir T Tyrwhit was not at home

The Ministers were for the Bill only 12 in the House when it Passed all the Patriots went away as usual.

[Addressed to:]

Mr Fell
Newtons Head
Nottingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment