Saturday 28 July 2012

28th July 1812: Captain Francis Raynes expresses concerns about his informer

Kersal Moor Camp
28th July 1812

Sir,

I had the Honor to state to you in my last Letter that there would be a meeting on Castle Hill last Sunday, it did take place, but was disturbed by two of the Scotch Greys appearing, and one of the men in my employ being declared an informer — I am at a loss what to do with him, for I cannot allow him to return there as I know he will be murdered. His name is Cooper, by Trade a Collier, but goes by the name of Strapper. I shall take care of him till I have the Honor to receive your answer, he may be useful man else where. Thinking this a matter of some importance I took a ride over to manchester in the expectation of having the Honor of seeing you, at the same time to shew you, one of the Notices of the Ludds, for assembling their people. There is to be another meeting on Sunday next at the Carr Meddows betwixt Marple Bridge and Glossop. I would enclose the Printed Notice, but am under the necessity of returning it, to Braddock the man who is to distribute them.

I shall have the Honor of writing to you Sir more particularly tomorrow

I have [etc]
Francis Raynes Capt
Stirling Militia

To,
Major General Ackland
&c &c &c

This letter can be found at HO 40/2/3.

No comments:

Post a Comment