Monday 9 July 2012

9th July 1812: William Robert Hay informs the Home Office about his doubts about Joseph Barrowclough

Police Office Manchester 9 July 1812

Sir,

Having in my letter by last nights post mentioned that it would be necessary to try the veracity of Barrowclough I have now to state to Government that as far as I am able to judge it is not improbable but that he may have totally deceived us. An Arrangement was made here yesterday by which several places mentioned is depĂ´ts for arms were to be searched as nearly as possible at the same time. I have seen some of the officers who are returned, and I believe that altho they found the places which were most accurately described by Barrowclough, in no instance have any arms been found. I issued two search warrants, what the result of those may be I cannot say — but after what has passed I have little expectation of any thing being found. Should I hear any further particulars before the post goes out, I will make them the subject of another letter. I have the honor to be.

Sir, [etc]
William Robert Hay
To John Beckett Esqr &c &c

This letter can be found at HO 42/125.

No comments:

Post a Comment