Friday 27 July 2012

27th July 1812: General Maitland sets out his plans for the West Riding

Buxton 27th July
1812

My dear Lord

I have the honor to receive two days ago, Your Lordship's very kind and flattering letter.

It gives me great Satisfaction to be able to state, that I am perfectly convinced if the Provisions of the present Bill, and particularly of the Second Clause, are carried into effect by the Magistracy, that the Country will in a short time regain its tranquility.

Lancashire is perfectly quiet, Cheshire infinitely more so, than it has been for a length of time, but I apprehend there is still a good deal to be done in Yorkshire.

My own feeling upon this subject is, that it will be advisable unless it assumes a very different appearance, to add considerably to the number of Troops in the West Riding, and it is my intuition, with your Lordship's permission to purpose this measure to Lord Fitzwilliam whenever Genl. Grey goes away.

I intend too, to go myself either to Wakefield or Leeds, to station a General Officer at Huddersfield.

By increasing the number of Troops we adopt the only measure that will give additional confidence to the Magistracy and Peace Officers, without which we can never expect tranquility.

By employing Officers of High Rank, I have no hesitation in stating to Your Lordship, we take the best means of inducing the Magistrates to be more active, than they otherwise would, and with the two Measures combined, I have not a doubt, we will in a very short time, get the West Riding into a similar State of tranquility with the other disturbed parts of the Country.

I have [etc]
T Maitland

[To] Lord Viscount Sidmouth
&c &c &c

This letter can be found at HO 42/125.

No comments:

Post a Comment