Wednesday 6 March 2013

6th March 1813: The Reverend Becher pleads on behalf of absconded Luddites

Southwell March 6
1813

My Lord Duke

I have the honor of stating to your Grace, that several Inhabitants of your county, knowing that some of them were advertised in the Hue & Cry & that others had been charged before the Magistrates with the offense of Frame Breaking, did abscond previously to the Lent Assize in the year 1812; and have since remained in concealment.

Many of these Men, as I have been informed, are desirous of returning to their occupations & their abodes; but I prevented by the tenor of his Majestys late pardon which does not extend to persons charged with offences. – I therefore beg leave to submit their case for the consideration of your Grace; since Magistrates are not competent to prescribe conditions without the sanction of some higher authority than their own.

I have [etc]
J. T. Becher

To
His Grace
the Duke of Newcastle
&c. &c. &c.

This letter can be found at HO 42/132.

No comments:

Post a Comment