Sunday 13 January 2013

13th January 1813: Henry Hobhouse dismisses the solicitors Lloyd & Allison to prevent them stirring up further trouble

York
Jan. 13. 1813.

Sir,

I deem it right to lose no Time in informing you that in Consequence of a Conversation which I had yesterday Evening, with Gen. Maitland, in which he stated his Intention to be to try whether the severe Example made at this place together with the Amnesty proposed on the part of the Government would not unable him to withdraw the Troops from the disturbed parts, & leave those parts to recover tranquility, from their Disaffection, I conceived it would be right to prevent the Effect of these measures being endangered by any Indiscretion on the part of the Attornies who have been employed for the Crown at Huddersfield. I have therefore taken upon myself to inform Mr. Lloyd & Mr. Allison that they cease to be employed from this Time, & that they are to take no Step whatever on the part of Government without express orders, for which however they are at liberty to apply, if they shall see occasion. If Lord Sidmouth should disapprove of these Directions, it will be easy to correct my Error; whereas any Contravention of the Views of His Majesty’s Ministers on the opposite side would not be so easily set right. I therefore hope I shall at last stand excused for the Orders I have given.

Inclosed I send you a Copy of a Letter from Mr. Cartwright to Mr. Blackburn the Attorney for the Prisoners, written in answer to an Application to sign a Petition, which is probably a Duplicate of one that I am informed went up to Lord Sidmouth last Night.

I am now on the point of quitting this Place, & remain

Sir
Your obedient
humble Servant
H. Hobhouse

[To] J Beckett Esq

This letter can be found at HO 42/132.

No comments:

Post a Comment