Thursday 24 January 2013

24th January 1813: Lieutenant Cooper informs General Acland about a Luddite funeral and another wanting to take the oath of allegiance

Elland 24th January [1813.]

Sir.

I have the Honor to acknowledge the receipt of yours of the 22d Instant and shall take care to follow your directions as they regard the diminution of the Detachment. I have already followed your directions as to patroling, which I received from you when at Wakefield.

I shall take pains to impress on the minds of the people of Elland and it’s neighbourhood the necessity of protecting themselves by their personal exertions Mr Dyson of Mr Cartledge have always been aware of it but though their exertions have been great they have not been generally supported.

The only Funeral in the neighbourhood of Elland was that of John Hill and no disturbance occurred but what was the consequence of the Methodist Parson refusing to read the service over the body, which was not of sufficient importance to notice.

I am happy to inform you that a man, of the name of Mitchell, who lives at Sowerby and whose son I had a Warrant against but was prevented serving by his leaving the Country, came to me this morning to ask me whether his son could be allowed to take the benifit of the Prince Regent's Proclamation for he was willing to go to Mr Radcliffe to take the Oath of Allegiance. I desired him to come to me again on tuesday I hope to hear from you under what circumstances such an indulgence may be granted. I had no information of his being concerned in any crimes beyond stealing Arms at the time I applied for the warrant, but I have reason to apprehend, from subsequent information, that he has been engaged in depredations when money or other property was stolen.

I have [etc]
Alf. Cooper Lieut.
West Suffolk Militia

[To] Major General Acland
&c &c &c
Wakefield.

This letter can be found at HO 40/2/3.

No comments:

Post a Comment