Saturday 19 January 2013

19th January 1813: Francis Raynes reports the arrest of a man calling for revenge for executed Luddites

Mills Bridge 19th Jany
1813

Sir,

I have the Honor to acquaint you that within the last day or two I have received information relative to the Arms stealing in this part of the Country, which if follow’d up may probably lead to many discoveries on that subject.

I wait your instructions Sir, whether to pursue the intelligence I have got actively, or quietly to gain all the information I can, to be acted upon as future circumstances may dictate.

A Serjeant of the Greys and James Robertson, on Sunday detained a man at the Globe Inn, Mills Bridge for for saying, as the Bodies of the Men executed at York were passing, that “they should be reveng’d, Blood should have Blood,” and using many other violent expressions, I sent him before Sir George Armytage the following morning who bound him in £100 and two Sureties of £50 each, to appear at the quarter Sessions

many unguarded words of a similar nature have fallen from people drinking in Public Houses, but thought it better after making one example not needlessly to irritate them by too minute an observation of their expressions

I have [etc]
Francis Raynes Captn,
Stirling &c Militia

To
Major General Acland
&c. &c. &c.

This letter can be found at HO 40/2/3.

No comments:

Post a Comment