Sunday 19 February 2012

19th February 1812: Nottingham MP Daniel Parker-Coke writes to the United Committee of Framework-knitters

1812. February 19 Derby . . .

Sir

I recd your Letter only last night from the circumstance of its having been directed to me in London & therefore take the earliest opportunity of answering it. I should have been in London long ago had I not had a fall by which I hurt my Leg & have not since been able to put on a Boot. However I shall be in London the beginning of next week & shall be happy at any time to receive any communications from your Committee which may be useful towards restoring the peace & good order of Nottingham & it's Neighborhood—By your letter I see it is the wish of the Committee that the proceedings in Par[liamen]t should be postponed for ten or twelve Days in the expectation of receiving important information. If I had been in town I am afraid I could not have made such an application with any prospect of success because it is the Duty of Govt, to find a remedy if they can for an evil of such magnitude as soon as possible & you would observe from the Debates in the Newspapers that they were blamed for not bringing in Bills sooner. I mention this merely to shew that no advantage has been lost by such a proposal not being made in Par[liamen]t.

I shall be glad at all times to receive information from the Committee to whom I beg my best respects And I am Sir

Your very obedient Servant
Danl Parker Coke.

[Addressed]
To the Secretary of the Committee
at Sir Isaac Newton's Head
Glass House Lane
Nottingham.

This letter can be found in the Records of the Borough of Nottingham, vol.8, 1800-1835 (p.137).

No comments:

Post a Comment