Wednesday 3 October 2012

3rd October 1812: Captain Raynes tells Acland that the Luddite victim Lindsey still wants protection

High Town 3d Octr 1812

Sir,

I have the Honor to inform you Mr. Lindsey of Gildersome was with me last night, and gave me inclosed anonymous Letter, he seems very much alarmed, and expressed a desire to have a Patrole of Dragoons in his neighbour hood, I am going over to Gildersome this evening to arrange a Patrole of Infantry which may be satisfactory to him. The men who appear’d before Sir George Armytage this morning, were four of the party present, when Robertson was so ill treated, three of them have been fined £1.2.6 each, the other is bound over to appear at the Quarter Sessions. Major Hamilton & Captain Drake have been with me to day, to beg I would assist them in finding out situations for night signals to communicate with Head Quarters &c. I have been rather disappointed in Crowther, he has not given me the information I expected, I shall see him again to night, when I hope to find he has been more successful.

I have [etc]
Francis Raynes Capn
Stirling militia

To
Major General Ackland
&c. &c. &c.

This letter can be found at HO 40/2/3.

No comments:

Post a Comment