Thursday 4 October 2012

4th October 1812: Lieutenant Cooper sends General Acland a report from Elland

Elland 4 October 1812

Sir.

I have the Honor to inform you that nothing of importance has transpired this week for me to report to you, the Robbery at Mr. Hoyles of Moss I was entirely ignorant of when Lt. Colonel Russel by your desire call’d and inform’d me of it. A party of mine left Ripponden on the night of the Robbery. I have made every enquiry [here] that I have been able, the Thieves appear to have been ignorant of the Country as they call’d a poor man from his bed, about a Mile from Mr Hoyles, and made him guide them to the House. after leaving Mr Hoyles they went to a Public House, the Sign of the Spread Eagle on a place called Butts Green, and demanded the Landlords Money which was given to the amount of two guineas and they also eat and drank at his expence. this is nearly all the information that I have been able to acquire of the Movements of this Banditti which I am sorry to say gives me no clue to their detection. The Country around Elland is very peaceable, on Thursday night thier were two Guns fired very near the Town, one at about nine o'clock on the other at twelve, and though the Piquet appeared to be not more than two hundred yards from the last Report we were not able to catch the person or persons that fired. I have not a doubt it was done on purpose to annoy us and that it was no Signal for assembling.

Corporl Thomas Newell and Private George Allsop of the 15th Hussars, stationed at Elland, deserve your approbation for their uncommon vigilence, they are as Serviceable as Special Constables from their activity and method of procuring intelligence, and I think quietness of this neighbourhood proceeds in a great measure from their exertions and the dread the Luddites have of being detected by them.

I have [etc]

Alf. Cooper Lieut.
West Suffolk Militia

[To] Major General Acland
&c. &c. &c.
Huddersfield.

This letter can be found at HO 40/2/3.

No comments:

Post a Comment