Tuesday 9 October 2012

9th October 1812: General Maitland leaves the West Riding to stand at the General Election

Wakefield
9th October
1812

My dear Lord

Since I came down here, I have been rather placed in a very unpleasant Situation, but upon which I could not think of troubling Your Lordship, till we knew what had become of Lawson. The truth is I find from Letters from Scotland, that it is indispensibly necessary, I should be there, for at least four or five days, with a View to secure my Election, and my not having been there, has left that doubtful which otherwise I would have insured.

So long as I thought Lawson was in question here, I found that I should be Guilty of a gross direliction of Duty, if from any circumstances whatsoever I stirred, and I accordingly with much satisfaction have run the risk I have mentioned, but seeing that he is now in London, I think this is exactly the most favorable opportunity for doing that, which I shall be obliged to do at all events before the Election, and have accordingly come to the determination of setting off instantly for Scotland.

My absence will not exceed ten days at the outside, but should your Lordship judge it adviseable, not to lay hold of the Parties if in London, but to postpone it till a more favorable opportunity occurs, by writing a note to me directed Dunbar, I shall be back at my Post within two days of the time it reaches me, and this not only applies to Lawson's Case, but to the smallest wish of Your Lordship relative to the general state of the Country.

Mr. Dealtry has been here now for eight days, has consulted me about the necessity of his staying, and seems to be extremely anxious to get up. I really do not find in the present State of Lawson's business, that his remaining here is likely to be of any great use, and therefore have told him, that I think he may proceed to Town after Saturday

I have been perfectly unreserved wit him in all my feelings of every thing going on, and he has promised me to communicate to Your Lordship the general Ideas I have upon the Subject, he appears to be a most valuable man.

Should any Local circumstance render it necessary to my absence to write here, by addressing the letter to me at Wakefield, it will be delivered to General Acland, who is most perfectly aware of all my Sentiments in regard to the State of the Country, and in which I can most perfect reliance, but no letter will be delivered to him from Your Office till after this communication reaches Town—

I am [etc]
T Maitland
[To] Lord Visct. Sidmouth
&c &c &c

This letter can be found at HO 42/128.

No comments:

Post a Comment