Sunday 29 May 2016

29th May 1816: The Home Secretary writes an approving letter to Sir Henry Bunbury

Whitehall
May ye 29th 1816.

My dear Sir,

I am much obliged to you for your Letter of ye 29th instant. The Proceedings of the Suffolk Magistrates, assembled at Bury on that Day, are perfectly satisfactory; & it is but Justice to declare that the Magistracy of that County, in one Quarter excepted, appears to have been exemplary in the highest Degree.

I am particularly glad to hear that you, Mr. Barker are henceforward to act at Brandon, & I am sure you will be both be cautious not to commit for Offences, which may take place there, except to the Gaol of the County to which the Part of Brandon, in which they may have occurr’d, belongs. I am [illegible] at the Apprehension of the five Delegates & I shall be anxious to learn the Particulars of the Evidence, which may be produced against them. It is also very satisfactory to me to know that the ill-advised Capitulation, made at Brandon, has not many Days to live.

The Evidence addressed against the Rioters, & Robbers at Ely is thought sufficient to put a considerable Number of them upon their Trials for capital Offences; if a Special Commission will accordingly be issued with all possible Despatch.

Be so good as to inform M. Genl Sir John Byng that I have been favour’d with his Letter, & that I propose writing to Him tomorrow, after I have receiv’d that which he intended sending to me by the Post of this Day. He may be assured of my entire Confidence in the Propriety of all his Arrangements.

I have the Honor to be
&c
Sidmouth

[To] Major Genl
Sir Henry Bunbury K.C.B.
&c &c &c

This letter can be found at HO 42/150.

No comments:

Post a Comment