Wednesday 18 May 2016

18th May 1816: The Mayor of Norwich updates the Home Office on the situation in the city

Guildhall Norwich
18th May 1816.

My Lord

I am again obliged to write your Lordship and so acquaint you that the Outrages were so much renewed last Night in the City, that the Magistrates were obliged to read the Riot Act, and to avail themselves of the Assistance of the Military mentioned in my letter of yesterday and also of the Norwich Light Horse Volunteers, with whose Help the Civil Power cleared the markets and the Streets about 10 o'Clock and the Night passed peaceably, but I regret that I have to inform Your Lordship, that from various Circumstance I have determined with the Advice of the other Magistrates (in addition to being prepared with the Civil Power and Inhabitants) to desire that the Military may be kept in readiness this Evening, in Case I shall find it necessary to order them out.

I have [etc]

J. H. Yallop.
Mayor

[To] The right hon.ble Lord Sidmouth

This letter can be found at HO 42/150.

No comments:

Post a Comment