Saturday 7 May 2016

7th May 1816: Major Marrie writes to the Home Office about more arson & the Rattlesden incident

Brettenham Park
(near) Bildeston
May 7th 1816

 My Lord,

since I had the Honor of addressing your Lordship last I have seen three fires the last two, were on Friday and Saturday nights. I have taken every pains in my power to obtain information, and to get at the names or designs of the partie’s concerned, but without success. 29 men have been committed to Bury Goal for the destruction of a draining Plough. They were most spiritedly attacked by the owner, altho’ near 200 of them of both sexes – you wrote over several of them and at last when they were a little dispersed he took down 30 names 29 of which his son informed me are now confirmed.

I hope my Lord that it may end here, and perhaps it may, as all the Farmers are now satisfied, that they must watch night and day, to protect their property. Should any thing come within my knowledge of any importance I shall take the earliest moment of acquainting your Lordship of it—

I have [etc]

[Major] Marrie

This letter can be found at HO 42/150.

No comments:

Post a Comment