Saturday 21 May 2016

21st May 1816: Benjamin Barker tells the Home Secretary he has prevented a riot at Rockland, Norfolk

Parsonage Caston
near Watton May 21 1816

My Lord

As I was stepping into my carriage this morning to go a journey I was informed is a great number of persons were collecting riotously in the neighbouring parish of Rockland, on which I immediately mounted my horse and have been six hours amongst them using my best endeavours to prevent any breach of the peace and I am happy to say that I have hitherto succeeded, tho’ a very bad spirit manifested itself in some few persons, which was the more dangerous as on examination I found many cases of very severe distress – I am not a magistrate, and there not being one in the hundred in which I reside, I have no opportunity of consulting with one without a greater delay in this information reaching your Lordship and may be safe

I have [etc]
Benjn Barker.

There is a great ferment in this whole neighbourhood and some mischief has been already done

To the Right Honble
The Secretary of State
for the Home Department

This letter can be found at HO 42/150.

No comments:

Post a Comment