Friday 6 May 2016

6th May 1816: The historian, John Gage, informs the Home Office of the 'uneasiness' of the Gentlemen of Suffolk

My Lord.

I feel it my duty to acquaint yr. lordship that I have this morning received a letter from my brother Sir Thomas Gage of Hengrave Suffolk, acquainting me that his neighbourhood is under Very Serious apprehensions from the riotous disposition of incendiaries—on Saturday Evening they burnt a Valuable barn the property of Mr. George [Rockward] in the parish of Stanningfield on premises occupied by Mr. George Rollinson. And two other farms in the same district suffered that evening. I trust yr. lordship will excuse this intrusion, but the formidable Spirit of the people has given so much uneasiness to Sir Thos. Gage & other Gentlemen in the neighbourhood that I lose no time in making this Communication.

I have the honour to be
Yr. lordships
Very Obedt. Humb Servt.

John Gage

Lincoln's Inn
May 6th 1816

This letter can be found at HO 42/150.

No comments:

Post a Comment