Sunday 1 May 2016

1st May 1816: Francis Raynes writes again to the Chief Secretary of the Treasury

No. 4, Dorset-Place, Clapham-Road,

SIR, May 1st, 1816.

When you did me the honor to say I might expect to hear from you by Friday, 26th ult. I did  flatter myself I should not be disappointed. I cannot for a moment, Sire, suppose, from having made to you a disclosure of the recent losses my family have sustained, that the circumstance should influence you to my prejudice; but must attribute your silence to the extreme pressure of public duty, or that your interview with Lords Liverpool and Sidmouth, on my behalf, was not favorable.

On Saturday, I called at the Treasury, in the hope that I should have the honor of seeing you, with an intention to solicit the favour of you, Sir, to entreat His Majesty’s Government would be pleased to honor me with their decision; for greatly should I be relieved to be informed, even if that decision was to my disadvantage; for who can near a continued state of suspense and anxiety? Believe me, Sir, that my applications do not result from a fretful impatience, or a doubt of your disposition to forward my views, but from most urgent motives.

I have withheld from the notice of the Generals under whom I served, many mortifying and trying circumstances, and those who are acquainted with my case, do not hesitate to pronounce me an injured man; and I hope I shall be spared the pain of ever detailing them for the information of His Majesty’s Government, or the eye of others; but humbly trust His Majesty’s Government will suffer me to return to my family, with that reward their wisdom may think proper to bestow for my past services.

I have now, Sir, only to apologize for trespassing on your valuable time, and have the honor to subscribe myself,

With great respect,
Your most obedient humble Servant,
FRANCIS RAYNES.

[To] The Right Hon. Charles Arbuthnot.

This is from Raynes (1817, pp.175-176)

No comments:

Post a Comment