Sunday 4 March 2012

4th March 1812: Joseph Radcliffe suggests the employment of informers to the Home Office

Sir

I am ashamed to be so troublesome, but since my last it has occurred to the [Huddersfield Magistrates] that as there are one or two privates in the Dragoons now at Huddersfield, who have been cloth dressers it the west of England, could they be permitted to put on clothing as country men, & offer to obtain work amongst the fraternity of sheermen, they might stand a chance of coming, at the knowledge of the instigators of the present disturbers of the peace.

Since my last I have waited upon Majr Gordon to request his permissions for these men so to do, when on expressing a doubt as to the propriety of a Soldier’s becoming a disguised spy, I mentioned writing to the Secretary of State's office for the home department to have directions as to the propriety of the measure, & shall extend an early reply as a favor done to

Sir, your much obliged
Joseph Radcliffe

Milnsbridge house
February 4th, 1812 [Radcliffe has put the wrong date, see below for actual date]

P.S. Inclosed is a requisition I yesterday received from Heckmondwike, which has been complied with, & 12 Dragoons sent to be quartered there.

I inclose the Huddersfield resolutions.—

Milnsbridge
4 March
1812

J W Radcliffe

This letter can be found at HO 42/120.

No comments:

Post a Comment